Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Quotes


I have always been a "quote person". I don't even really know what that means, I just know that I've always sought advice from wise people who have made their mark on the world. I have many things around my house...here are some pictures of a few of them.

This one is obviously from the Bible. I remember a friend once saying to me to always think on certain things when I was making decisions in life. I was telling him about some difficulties we were having with a family member, and he said if I always go through each of those in my head I will rarely make a wrong decision in what to do. My friend is a crazy guy but sometimes he is pretty darn inspirational! So when I saw this plaque, I knew I had to have it:


Sometimes my mouth is a little quicker than my brain, but I always look to it for goodness.

Another is this:

It says "Live the life you've always imagined."

I watched a great movie called "The Secret" and the next day I was at the store and saw this and it meant so much more to me then it would have had I seen it a day earlier. If you've seen the movie you'll know why.

And then this one, a favorite of mine I've had for several years. I've loved it so much that I even wanted a tattoo of it. My mother probably cringes each time she hears that, but it had meant a lot to me for a long time, it's not like I'm going out and getting my favorite celebirty tattooed on my arm at the spur of the moment or something!



I also have some favorite quotes on my computer that mean a lot to me:

"Forgive all who have offended you, not for them, but for yourself." ~Harriet Nelson

That one means a lot to me because of the truly toxic people that we have had to deal with in life, and until I learned to forgive (NOT forget!) I had so much eating away at me that that's exactly what it did - take away FROM me and not give TO me.

Another I like:

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." ~Buddha

In my family and my husbands, as in any family, I think there are often times when if you don't believe a certain way or think about something a certain way, you get looked at kinda funny, you know what I mean? Or you get the cold shoulder or are expected to take sides. I believe what is logical to me based on the different things I've learned in life. Some may think I'm ignorant for that, but I don't care!

One more for today:

"Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same." ~Francesca Reigler

Isn't that just the truth?!


No comments: